nanog mailing list archives

Re: time for a new list?

From: Andrea Di Lecce <slinky () rogerswave ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 20:00:13 -0500

At 00:12 11/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
   I have been reading this list for a while now, and for the most part,
just sitting back reading posts that interest me.  I appreciate the early
heads up on outages, new info on networking technology and the like.
However, I do believe that moderating or "policing" the list would be a good
idea.

Instead of a pure moderation, where every post must be approved either
manually or by sender, why not have a few people who are well-versed on the
FAQ, gently reminding those that step too far away from it ?  Suspension of
posting privileges can be an option, if absolutely necessary.

   As for a subscription requirement, that may be a little difficult as the
"good" information that passes through this list, is interesting to a great
deal of people that may not fit into the subscription group.  It wouldn't be
fair to have them be denied from the right to see what is going on, however
a posting credentials requirement might be a good idea, but then again who
would enforce this, and what would the requirements be?

A written, time-limited IQ test !? :)

Andrea Di Lecce                     (416) 935-5700
Rogers@Home Network Operations
1 Mount Pleasant Road, Toronto, M4Y 2Y5