nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 23:01:14 -0800

At 12:35 AM 11/8/98 -0500, Adam Rothschild wrote:
The need for static IP comes from them wanting to run their own
web-server.

     Not necessarily.  I asked an ISP for a static IP for security
reasons. ("Trusted hosts" and stuff like that there)

Yah, point well taken.

Besides, AFAIK, @Home AUP expressly forbids users from offering web and
ftp services of any sort off their boxen.

Unless they're doing contiuous port scans on all their IPs, they'll never
know. Besides, there's always the IP equivalent of dial-back <grin>.

Of course, that's not to say that there are not pseudo-31337 w4r3z-kiddi3z
out there who do so anyways...8-)

As I said <grin>

@HOME's business/operations model is NOT one I particularly like. Folks
should be free to run home servers. I'm thinking more along the lines of
"smart house" which has to have a server. A "smart house" could never exist
on the @home network. It's almost as bad as AOL. It stifles innovation.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.