nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN?

From: Rich Sena <ras () poppa clubrich tiac net>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 06:16:47 -0500 (EST)

On 7 Nov 1998 johnl () iecc com wrote:

All of the cable modem subscribers I know have dynamic IPs assigned by
DHCP.  A suitably aggressive DHCP client can usually keep the lease
renewed so the IP doesn't change, but they are most certainly not
static IP addresses.

Yep most I know are DHCP - but it is more of a feeble attempt to stop ppl
from running web servers and it eliminates the install techs from having
to do as much configuration.  But for the purposes of address stewardship
- there is no savings of address space in this scenario - they are up 24x7
and if they loose their connection they usually come back up before they
lose their lease.  So for the purposes here - they are statically
addressed.  ARIN's dynamic address requirement is intended for the
purpose of address conservation - not for ease of configurtion.

--
I am nothing if not net-Q! - ras () poppa clubrich tiac net