nanog mailing list archives

Re: PC Bozo's World bites again (CNN, too)

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Matthew Marlowe wrote:

That said, I think CNN messed up their explanation rather
than giving wrong advice.

I don't think so. They even said in their article that the technical
details are based upon this URL
http://www.sns-access.com/%7Enetpro/maxmtu.htm
and this guy says stuff like:

    And, it turns out, depending on how your ISP and other routers
    encountered on the Internet handle your TCP/IP requests, that a MaxMTU
    setting of 576, often referred to as the "Internet Standard", will in
    many cases avoid the fragmentation of packets of data and the slow
    transfer speeds which result.

Stevens in TCP/IP Illustrated Volume I, pointed out
that lower mtu's on dialup lines could significantly
improve latency for interactive traffic while having
only a small efficiency loss for data intensive traffic.

Most people are changing the MTU to speed up web browsing which is data
intensive, not interactive. I think Karl's explanation of broken Windows
TCP/IP stacks is more likely the root cause of the problem.

But has anyone ever done a proper test of this with sniffers at both the
client end of the network and the webserver end of the network?

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael () memra com