nanog mailing list archives

Re: The questions stand

From: John Fraizer - Administrator <John.Fraizer () EnterZone Net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 02:29:16 -0400

You're saying that you never experience packet loss to _any_ destination
unless it's some kind of emergency situation?  I find that hard to
beleive.  What if the destnation's network is chronically congested?  Or
if the exchange point between your upstream provider and the destination's
provider is congested?  Or some other fill_in_the_blank ongoing
non-emergency problem at the destiantion?

No. I was referring to packet loss due to problems here at ENTERZONE or at
FNSI.NET.  God knows I we can't control what happens to a packet once it
hits that VA based ISP.  I would swear that they are releaving congestion
on their internal network by load balancing between /dev/null and /dev/void
at the MAEs. (grin)

I have no doubt that you maintain an excellent network, and that you have
an excellent working relationship with your upstream provider, but how are
they going to control what is occuring within {big Tier 1 provider}.

They can't.  But they can weight their session with "medium Tier 1
provider" as  preferred if the agreement allows until "B.T.1.P" gets a clue
or enough complaints from their peers and customers.

-------
John Fraizer    (tvo)     |    __   _                 |
The System Administrator  |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:tvo () EnterZone Net  |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/ | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
                     A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...