nanog mailing list archives

Re: SkyTel 2Way pagers DOWN all US

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:44:40 -0400

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 08:46:07PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
Just wanted to inform anyone that relies on this for system notifications
etc.  Skytel lost a satellite feed and all of their 2-Way pagers are down.
I called them and they told me that it had been down since 5:00pm CST and
they hoped to have it back 'soon'.

There was a satellite failure that has taken out most paging in the US. My
AirTouch is also out. I assume that the paging comanies are scrambling to get
other access.

Interestingly enough, my Tampa PageNet pager died around the same time,
was down at 0300, and was working at 0830.  The reason it's interesting
is that I'm _not_ a nationwide customer.  Their _local_ RF was down.

Go figure.

CHeers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com