nanog mailing list archives

Re: SkyTel 2Way pagers DOWN all US

From: TTSG <ttsg () ttsg com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:07:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 01:54:32AM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
other .5% problem), I told her if I was ever kidnapped to call Skytel as
they had to be able to track where I was.  The woman on the phone "would
neither confirm nor deny" that possibility.  She referenced a privacy
issue and didn't want to say more.

Interesting. Of course, we know from the OJ saga that Cellphones can be
located well enough to find a moving vehicle...

            --Dean

Pagemart service is STILL down as of this time (5-20-98 8:30 AM CDT); I am
getting neither my normal "news and weather" broadcasts or directed pages.

        Still no SkyTel.  Areas where they use land based communication to
the towers are fine, but the areas where they use the "Sky" part are still
down of course.  I asked a Ham Radio friend of mine to look into it, and he'll
be posting on his web site whatever he learns:

                http://digital.net/~cheshire

                        Tuc/TTSG