nanog mailing list archives

Re: Core router bakeoff?

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:33:46 -0400

Tony Li writes:
BTW, NetBSD with the recent flow cache mods can handle at least
150,000 packets per second. We haven't seen what the actual upper
limit is, but that number doesn't seem to be eating a lot of CPU.

Interesting.  Have you done any scalability testing?  Per-flow state has
been shown to scale poorly in Internet backbones.

I agree with you that it doesn't scale well to huge routers. I am
certain that it would work very badly in MCI's backbone. It probably
will work just fine in a small provider, though, and those are most of
the guys who want to roll their own out of PCs anyway.

If you want to pump half a gigabit through on a giant peering router,
caches will lose, and the only thing that will do you right is
real router hardware.

Perry