nanog mailing list archives

Re: Smurf Amp Nets

From: "Richard Thomas" <buglord () ex-pressnet com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:09:05 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () inorganic5 fdt net>
To: Oystein Homelien <oystein () homelien no>
Cc: Andrew Herdman <andrew () whine com>; nanog () merit net <nanog () merit net>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998 7:51 PM
Subject: Re: Smurf Amp Nets

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Oystein Homelien wrote:

You need to push the "probe=" parameter to the cgi as well.  What you are
doing above is merely looking up already-registered networks in the SAR
database.  Again, you are NOT probing the networks through the SAR by
running the above lynx command!

To do what you want, you must use URLs of this form:

http://www.powertech.no/smurf/probe.cgi?network=1.2.3.4&probe=PROBE

ack!  I somehow missed that when pasting the URL from Netscape into my
editor.  Here's an updated version.  Chris Bongaarts <cab () tc umn edu> sent
the 172.16/12 regex I was too lazy to include before.

#!/usr/bin/perl

while (<STDIN>) {
 ($net,$junk)=split /:/,$_,2;
 if (($net=~/\d+\.\d+.\d+/) &&

!($net=~/^(0\.)|(10\.)|(192\.168)|(172\.((1[6-9])|(2[0-9])|(3[01]))\.)|(255\
.255\.255)/)){
   system("lynx -dump 'http://www.powertech.no/smurf/probe.cgi?network=$net&probe=PROBE'";);
 }
 elsif ($net=~/---/) {
   die "\ndone.\n";
 }
}

I'm using this to make sure all the nets I recently posted about are
registered.  Based on the times reported by SAR, I think I'll be adding a
bunch of new nets to it.

Might want to add a delay considering the amount of bandwidth they will be receiving if they tried to send out all
those probes at once. In a previous message it was stated that a probe uses 4x64bytes, plus amplification by the
broadcasts. I just took the SAR offline for about 4 minutes while trying running a SMALL portion of my bcasts through
your script on my 28.8k modem, and it didn't even come close to completing that portion. That fact aside you won't get
very accurate results if the SAR is so flooded it can't receive the replies. I would suggest they use ping
-s 1 or -s 8 if the timing information is desired.