nanog mailing list archives

Re: More smurf networks. FIX YOUR ROUTERS.

From: Bil Herd <bil () zeus jersey net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 00:50:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, James Rishaw wrote:

If you took the time to write the script to find out if these people
have vulnerable networks, you surely can write something to do whois
queries.
I cant stand when people bitch about something, but do nothing about it.
Posting this on nanog is going to do little.. we can "ass-u-me" that most
people on here are quarter-clued-enough to no ip directed already.
Dalvenjah FoxFire wrote:
Hi folks,
Then I found this list, full of 175 different networks. Nearly all the
ones I tried work, and the ones that didn't work didn't respond on other
IPs either, so I'm assuming unreachability. This is a fresh list from
an active smurfer, however, so it does work. (Boy, does it work. }:P )

Actually I thought it was nice that someone took the time to pass on
what he had learned about this ongoing problem, especially after having
invested his time and effort.  I didn't take this as bitching in the
least.  Also, I am not so arrogant as to think that all of my customers
have every single router configured correctly... you can bet I checked the
list for all of our blocks.

Bil Herd