nanog mailing list archives

Re: Load balancing/Multiple CNAME's (Was: Re: Beyond DNS...)

From: Studded <Studded () san rr com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 19:02:31 -0700

Daniel Reed wrote:

First of all, I would have a CNAME along with extra information

        Yes, I clarified that in my previous post, sorry for the confusion.

)       Well I'll take that as a compliment, since I am DALnet's hostmaster. :)
) However I regret to inform you that I did use the CNAME hack to fine
) tune our load balancing.
Ah, so that explains why nslookup barfs when I try to lookup irc.dal.net
repeatedly.

        A) Define "barfs." B) nslookup has peculiarities of its own, dig is a
much better tool. C) I never have any problems with it so I'd be curious
to know what you mean. :)

)                          I'd also like to point out that the IP's in a
) true round-robin setup (as manifest with BIND, et al) will be returned
) randomly, not in a rotate once cycle.
Well, if that is true, then it's because of your setup. BIND will rotate
IPs once per query, and that's documented behaviour.

        Chapter and verse?  Rotate yes, rotate left one cycle (I'm 98% sure)
no.

For an easier to see example, nslookup nanog.random.ml.org a couple times.

        I strongly suspect that the behavior you're seeing is due to the small
sample set. Try it with 10 IP's or more. Also, I was speaking
specifically about how the server answers queries. You have a TTL of 8
hours, after the first answer you're getting resolver cache.

)       Finally, if you plan to disagree with anything in this post, please
) quote chapter and verse from the relevant RFC. I've spent a lot of time
) studying this topic and am quite sure of my facts.
I'd rather come up with evidence as opposed to rhetoric, but if you
insist...

Well, I downloaded bind-8.1.2-doc.tar.gz, but I don't really have the time
currently to look through it to find out specific examples in the
documentation.

        I'll be here. :)

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network        ***
***   Proud designer and maintainer of one of the world's largest