nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft offering xDSL access

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:56:53 -0500

On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 03:19:37AM -0000, John R. Levine wrote:
But the important thing they did not say (and which may be of some
interest to NANOG) was what is supposed to happen to the packets once
they whiz down the DSL wire from the consumer to the phone company
central office, since DSL data, unlike ISDN or regular dialup
connections, doesn't go through the phone switch.  Whoever handles
that IP traffic needs a router or something similar next to the phone
switch to connect to those DSL pairs.  Do the Bells plan to hand all
the traffic to their oh-so-independent ISP subsidiaries?  Will it be
gold rush time as every ISP in the country scrambles to get colo space
for a router in every central office in the territory they want to
serve?  Do the Bells plan to sell MAN connections between telco-run
routers at the phone office and the ISPs?  Who knows?

The only plan I can see that would be equitable would be for tge
regulated utility to operate the "DSL-Max's" (or whatever), and rent
access to all comers at a tarriffed price.  This _is_ after all a side
effect of the fact that they have an effective monopoly on the
copper... and it _is_ the regulated company that owns the copper.

As long as they're charging their subsidiary the same price as me, I
don't care.  But I _wouldn't_ let them provide _anything_ except
routing.  No news, no mail, no Radius... nada.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,