nanog mailing list archives

SPAM: beware of CRL! you are LOOSING EMAIL and LOOSING CONTACTS

From: Steve Carter <fazer () primenet com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 01:13:21 -0700 (MST)

Thought this might interest some of you guys, especially those at CRL and
one other fella...... >;)

BTW, I am the messenger, not the author.....

-Steve.

From: dabao38 () hotmail com
Subject: beware of CRL! you are LOOSING EMAIL and LOOSING CONTACTS
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 00:21:26 -0600
Newsgroups:
ba.internet,alt.internet,alt.internet.access,alt.internet.commerce,alt.
internet.
providers.america,alt.internet.services
alt.internet.commerce:62928 alt.internet.providers.america:1533
alt.internet.services:135128

Why C R L SUCKS AND YOU TOO SHOULD DROP THEM: 1) Your email address at
CRL only works with the portion of the world THEY like. Did you know
they
block off many servers and all of their users from being able to reach
you because someone onced might have used that machine to send
commercial
email? And they will NOT tell you this nor admit to it until you've
mysteriously lost touch with your contacts and loved ones. A few
examples: kiss your love ones goodbye from hotmail.com, juno.com,
hinet.net (this would be the entire nation for Taiwan). They say they
are
doing this to fight spam, ironically a lot of spam is actually
generated
from CRL. More like kissing up to this self appointed Internet Lord
Paul
Vixie who runs the Real Time Blackhole List (the list which does this
emai censoring and blocking, with out any concern for end users'
connectivity). This guy prettymuch figured he has the power to decide
who
you can and can not get email from. And they are banking on you NOT
FINDING OUT about it. And guess what, my spam has not decreased, but
actually increased since they used this none-selective block.. they did
managed to cut me off from my important contacts, but not spam. 2) Try
it. Their Dial up in San Francisco and Southbay hang up on you or do
not
answer 70% of the time during prime time and 50% during off peak (this
was my experience, not scientific.. but still). They refuse to upgrade
beyond 28.8k (spending all the money they made on the fat corporate job
hogs). 3) Tech support? What tech support? When I confronted them about
the missing email they actually yelled at me (after 10-15 emails to get
response, phone calls? forget it..) and told me it was my contacts'
fault
that they subscribed to the "bad, bad spamming company for ISP). Imagin
if your phone company told you you can not get calls from your mom
because she lives in an area with a phone company they did not like..
Since when did CRL figure out dictatorship was in again? 4)They will
NOT
cancel your service and will keep on charging your credit card... Many
other users complained about this, it was even mentioned in PC
Magazine's
ISP review. There are many more reasons why they bite, but I really do
not want to waste my energy over those bastards anymore. I am actually
the last of my associates to drop their service because I do not want
change my email and web address for the sake of business (I've already
spent a lot on printing them on all kinds of materials). Face it, CRL
has
gotten fat off of it's customers, now it is screwing them. The email
block was what really did it. How would you like a phone service
(especially for business) that can only take calls from a PART of the
country and the world? Email me if you want to start a class action
lawsuit against them.

-------------------==== Posted via Deja News