nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTU of the Internet?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:05:46 -0500

On Sun, Feb 08, 1998 at 10:37:28AM -0800, Paul A Vixie wrote:

two things which I wanted to comment on.

tcp without congestion avoidance is always faster than tcp with
congestion avoidance.  whether you take away congestion avoidance
by running lots of short lived connections in parallel, or whether
you actually dyke out the code that avoids congestion, the result
is the same: other tcp's will back off and give you more of the
channel.

this is another example of a cooperative protocol suite trying to
survive in a competitive world.  that tcp only behaves well if all
other tcp's behave well, where "behaves well" means "shares paths
fairly" creates an automatic incentive on the part of some designers
to not "behave well" so they can get more than their fair share.

Yup.  _I phone_.

I used to run a 40 port ISP on a 64k uplink.

It worked _just_ fine... until VocalTec took over.

    I'll throw in one more subjective measure.  When Netscape
first came out some of the CS people at Virginia Tech wondered about
the perception, and did some tests with willing college student
subjects using Mosaic (which at the time supported HTTP keepalives,
and used them to connect to the server once for all transfers)
and Netscape (multiple connections, no keepalives).
    On the more complex pages Mosaic downloaded and displayed the
page faster, in wall clock time, but the users always preferred
Netscape.  The observation is that many people don't wait for
a full download, they click on picture links, for instance,
when they are half down....so having them all half down allows someone
to proceed with browsing, rather than having half fully there, and
half not visable.

which means the server gets a lot of RSTs and a lot of data which is
committed into the path ends up being thrown away.  seems like if we
wanted things to go faster, we would waste less bandwidth by sending
only data which was useful and not creating a huge number of retrans-
missions by effectively turning off tcp congestion avoidance.

Alas, the problem is that "faster" isn't what we really want here.  In
the quest for "efficiency", we've forgotten that what is _really_
desired is "effectiveness" (not "do the thing fast", but "do the
_right_ thing"), and the problem is that what "the right thing" _is_
depends almost entirely on the design on the page.

If there aren't sufficient structural clues in the markup, the server
_cannot_ accurately guess what's most necessary to get out there
quickly, and will be right, at best, 50% of the time.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com