nanog mailing list archives

Re: identify hostname

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 23:32:36 -0500

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 09:32:45PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
Sure there are some cases that are hard or impossible to account for, but
it would be helpful for ISP's to take a stance that "here's your address
space. Unless you tell us otherwise, we assume its not subnetted, and we
will block your broadcast addresse.  If you subnet or otherwise change your
broadcast address, you will need to notify us"

I think this might be a workable solution. But I work for an ISP that has a
bunch of statically routed customers, where the only BGP announcements are
traded with our two upstreams, and I don't have experience at a provider who
has tons of BGP-enabled clients who might have to deal with this on a large
scale. So I might be missing something.

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol () nacs net]
Part-time Support Droid [support () nacs net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."