nanog mailing list archives

Re: Generation of traffic in "settled" peering arrangement

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () namesecure com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:14:18 -0700 (PDT)

On 24 Aug 1998, Paul Vixie wrote:

Are you saying that someone should be forced to pay for the privilege of
offering something for free to your customers? Things that your customers,
who I number among are requesting?

I don't know what he was saying, but I'll say something like it: gatekeeper,
wuarchive, cdrom.com, and other archives of free stuff are going to have to
do some kind of micropayment scheme -- charge for downloads in other words --
in order to pay their own costs to their providers, in order that those
providers are able to pay THEIR costs, in transit they buy or in glass they
lease or whatever.

Ok, it hasn't happened yet, and software has been distributed free for
quite some time, but let's assume that this is indeed the inevitable.

Who pays?

Model 1 (current model):

a) Recipient pays provider extra for transmission.
b) Sender may/may not pay extra for transmission (transit vs. peering)

Model 2 (new, shiny, "improved" model):

a) Recipient pays sender for download.
b) Recipient pays extra for transmission.
c) Sender pays provider extra for transmission.

Well, wait a minute, doesn't the recipient already normally pay? I have
three different providers, BBN being one of them. All bill on the 95th
percentile. If I want more data, I pay for the privilege. Works for me. I
understand that some providers bill flat-rate. That's their business
decision, and may or may not scale.

In the case of BBN, I am paying for end to end connectivity to whatever
portion of the Internet that happens to be operational at that moment. *I*
am already paying for the cost of BBN to get the data from wherever to me.

So now under model 2, I am paying twice, not because cdrom.com or wherever
wants to charge me extra, but because they are forced to pay for the
privilege of sending me data that I requested and am already paying the
transmission costs for. The net effect is that the transit provider is
double-dipping, and it costs the receiver twice to receive the data.

Somehow this doesn't seem to be very attractive to me.

The Internet backbone's growth has been all about barriers to entry and in
special deals.  People have been buying their provisioning at flat rate or
with other subsidies, and reselling it at variable rates to folks who came
later or otherwise didn't have access to, or knowledge of, the special deals
of the pioneers.  Eventually these special deals run out of time, or run out
of bandwidth, and a true (cost-driven) market economy is developing.

What we're seeing now is just SO inevitable.

Don't worry, we'll be paying for the commercial release of BIND
when you guys start selling it... ;-)

I thought the whole idea with this Net thingy was to make bandwidth so
cheap it wasn't an issue. This of course is a pipe dream. The real idea
from the "pros" seems to go something like: "The idea is to make
bandwidth so cheap that it doesn't cost us anything to deliver, but allows
us to charge the same or more for."

Am I close?

Patrick Greenwell                                        (800) 299-1288 v
                           Systems Administrator         (925) 377-1212 v
                                 NameSecure              (925) 377-1414 f