nanog mailing list archives

RE: Q:Why router with ATM interface comes out earlier than pure SONET interface?

From: "Christian Kuhtz" <ck () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:14:21 -0400

And if a service provider uses fundamentally different technologies and
approaches to solving the problem of the customers in an
attempt to generate
revenue, the service provider better be running similiar
technology (like
the customer).  Otherwise it'll hardly be efficient.

all that matters is $$$ or ($$$)

That's what I meant.

Could you please define what you mean by connectionless?

IP is a connectionless transport.  ATM is connection-oriented.

We usually assume 25% cell shredder tax on ATM vs. POS.  At
OC-48, you'll be
blowing an OC-12 in framing.  Seems like an awful waste of
bandwidth to me.

Only if you are paying for it :).

?  If I use ATM, I am paying for it.. No?  Anyone giving away ATM spigots?

--
Christian Kuhtz, BellSouth Corp., Sr. Network Architect  <ck () bellsouth net>
1100 Ashwood Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30338                        <ck () gnu org>