nanog mailing list archives

RE: Q:Why router with ATM interface comes out earlier than pure SONET interface?

From: brad <brad () poofy tbn tm>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:07:04 +0000 (GMT)

Well, that, and then you see all the applications in the corporate world,
all of them built on IP.  Not on ATM.  What do you think is going to drive
innovations and requirements on the service provider side?  Service
providers aren't just here because somebody thought it was cool to have
service providers.

I don't think it is an ip vs atm issue as it is an ip/other protocols
are superior to ip/atm for reasons directly related to cost (i.e.
nic deployment, cell tax etc.).

And if a service provider uses fundamentally different technologies and
approaches to solving the problem of the customers in an attempt to generate
revenue, the service provider better be running similiar technology (like
the customer).  Otherwise it'll hardly be efficient.

all that matters is $$$ or ($$$)

building an ATM core.  One of these days someone will get the idea that MPLS
is intended to be connectionless.

The connectionless way of looking at the world makes sense in an IP world.
It doesn't make much sense to folks who have done circuit switching for
their entire lives (or most of it).  I just hope that the awakening doesn't
come at too high of a price to the latter.

Could you please define what you mean by connectionless?

We usually assume 25% cell shredder tax on ATM vs. POS.  At OC-48, you'll be
blowing an OC-12 in framing.  Seems like an awful waste of bandwidth to me.

Only if you are paying for it :).