nanog mailing list archives

Re: SMURF amplifier block list - READ THIS

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:18:17 -0400

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 05:22:42PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
Uh, folks, blocking the broadcast address will NOT help you in the case
of a smurf POUNDING ON YOU.  It will ONLY prevent your customers launching
a smurf against someone ELSE.  A FAR more effective means of doing THAT is
to prohibit source address forgery on your connections.

Um, Karl?  That's not what we were talking about.

What we were talking about was forbidding external connections to the
class-C broadcast addresses on a net, and why that useful process made
addressing hosts on .255 boundaries A Bad Idea.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com