nanog mailing list archives

Re: smurf's attack...

From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn () bestweb net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:55:48 -0400

At 3:41 PM +0000 9/5/97, DAVE NORDLUND wrote:
Likewise, not all broadcast adresses necessarily end with .255,
so filtering .255 won't help anyway in the presence of something
like a /25 with a X.X.X.127 broadcast.

Agreed but it is not easy for a hacker to determine CIDR masks.  It
is my impression that the only thing being sent is classfull broadcasts.

Further, smaller networks (which, theoretically speaking at least, have
fewer hosts) would be less useful in a smurf attack than larger ones, as
there would be less of a multiplying effect.

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan                    mailto:jordyn () bestweb net |
|Bestweb Corporation                      http://www.bestweb.net |
|Senior System Administrator                     +1.914.271.4500 |