nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone Deployed Ascend's GRF IP Switch?

From: "Gary E. Miller" <gem () rellim com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:43:10 -0700 (PDT)

Yo Neil!

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Neil J. McRae wrote:

I have been using gated for years now, on sparcs, PC's, BSD/OS, NetBSD,
Xylan Omniswitch, Ascend-GRF, Morningstar routers and I've never had gdc
reconfig cause any disruption other than when the operator misconfigured
something. This is the same for any router when you reconfigure things
changes happen.

I have been using gated in production on Linux hosts.  When I do a
"gdc reconfig" then gated clears out the kernel routing table, then
refills it.  Even on my small OSPF routing tables there is a noticeable,
but short, downtime.  I have never seen it last long enough to drop
a connection.  Unless of course I made a mistake which I never do. :-)

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 2680 Bayshore Pkwy, #202 Mountain View, CA 94043-1009
        gem () rellim com  Tel:+1(415)964-1186 Fax:+1(415)964-1176