nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Engineering

From: "Kent W. England" <kwe () geo net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:15:12 -0700

At 04:23 PM 9/17/97 -0700, Pushpendra Mohta wrote:

Even in the scenario where physical proximity automatically implied
network proximity, I think the assumption that local traffic will
dominate communications needs to be revisited. It is true today, only
because that is how people live lives and conduct business _today_. The
concept of "community" today is geographical.. the communities of
tommorrow may not be so restricted.

True, it's an assumption, but as I said in another message, the only other
example we have of such a network is the telephone network. And, given the
choice, why wouldn't most people join a local community rather than a
far-away or abstract community?

But there is not much point in arguing about this -- let's just keep our
eyes on the traffic patterns and see what happens and adjust accordingly.

Another example is distributed web hosting. When distributed web hosting
takes off, your backbone will be heavily discounted and your peripheral
interconnect bandwidth will be woefully short. Web traffic will zoom as
performance dramatically improves, but your backbone bandwidth will drop.
That breaks your traffic model.

This is true of a business model based around content distrubution only.
Most ISPs of size will have both publishers and consumers of information
so the backbones utilization should be balanced.

I see a lot of asymmetries today. Some service providers have a lot of
business access connections, some have mostly web hosting, and some have
mostly retail eyeballs.

Of course, CERFnet may be better able to balance than most, but I expect
you'll support whatever sells, whether it balances or not.  :-)

Cheers.

--Kent