nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

From: Phil Lawlor <phil () agis net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:42:17 -0500

At 04:00 PM 10/29/97 -0800, Derek Andree wrote:
Phil Lawlor wrote:
Exactly.  I guess the question is, should we build more sender verification
into sendmail, on both the sending and receiving side?

 It would seem like a nice feature for Sendmail, but do you think it is
realistic to assume that everyone would upgrade?  I know of many hosts which
use "outdated" versions of Sendmail.  Then you would be faced with the
question of whether to only allow connections from the latest version of
sendmail (with the sender verification), which would limit it's usefulness.

Right.  Companies that don't have a need to upgrade, won't go through the
expense.  In many areas, caller ID is an optional feature that costs more
to have.  I found it very useful earlier this year when someone posted my
home phone number on the Internet.  If spam is really a big problem for an
organization, than they will go through the pain to solve it.

Phil Lawlor
President
AGIS
Voice - 313-730-1130