nanog mailing list archives

Re: UUNet Routing SNAFU

From: "John A. Tamplin" <jat () traveller com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 22:22:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Danny McPherson wrote:

And since I helped *create* the CA*net database *and* the CA*net route
filters based on the various DBs, yes, I meant RADB.

How many providers actually apply prefix-based filtering (based on IRR
objects) to other providers?

I like the idea of prefix-based filtering applied to customers (by everyone
that claims to be tier 1 & 2 (&3), at the very least), as well as the idea of
configuring static filters for /19s and such, but if I were to build 46K++
lines of ACLs to filter prefixes from all eBGP peers for all registered
prefixes (from several different registries) .. my routers wouldn't be
manageable.

We filter prefixes on BGP customer links and peers, but not with upstream
providers (obviously).

RtConfig is very useful for automatically building such configurations,
although in our case we are rather small scale.

John Tamplin                                    Traveller Information Services
jat () Traveller COM                            2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007                               Huntsville, AL 35801