nanog mailing list archives

Re: to control spam let's break the net?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () inorganic5 fdt net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:22:27 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Robert Laughlin wrote:

Well spam is bad, but I do not think this is the answer either.
DataXchange has spent lots of efforts at spam control, but apparently Karl
does not think we have done enough. Based on receiving this one email,

If you don't block relaying, what do you do?

relayed thru us, he has decided to put a block in place.  Most of our
customers use portal.dx.net and other machines in the same address block
as a mail relay, so he has effectively cut off most of our ISPs and their

Why would ISP's (even if they are your customers) be using you as a relay
rather than have their servers handle delivery directly?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis () fdt net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |