nanog mailing list archives

Re: Murkowski anti-spam bill could be a problem for ISPs

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () cybernothing org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 05:57:57 -0400

[Removed com-priv because I am not a member and because any thread between
the two is bound to be a useless flamewar.]

On Mon, May 26, 1997 at 01:51:38AM -0700, Matthew James Gering wrote:

And in the effort to allow the identification of spam, a required SMTP
header:
precedence: [ high | normal | low | bulk | uce ]

This will allow policies to be enforced, and maintain the freedom of
creating that policy.

        Who will ensure that this requirement is followed?  Right now
        we've got thousands of people using non-standard mail programs
        every day, and nobody has been able to get rid of Microsoft
        Exchange, Lotus Notes, or any of the other software which is
        known to do this....

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk () cybernothing org> =========---------
  |   "Anyway the :// part is an 'emoticon' representing                  |
  |                a man with a strip of sticky tape across his mouth."   |
  |                                     -- R. Douglas                     |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----