nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Big Squeeze

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 22:34:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Craig  Nordin wrote:

Shouldn't the big boys ... be forced to come up with a fairer solution?
by who?

An even playing field where those who can only get a few class C addresses
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No such thing. Or did you mean "... where those with longer prefixes are...)

are not excluded from multiple peering points.  I think that this is fairer
to *everyone*.

Check the dictionary definition of the word "peer" as used in Canada, the
USA and Australia, *NOT* Britain. Although the British use of the word
does have some relevance if you understand the history behind the House of
Lords.

So far, we have two unilateral decisions by those powerful enough to
make it stick.  InterNIC protects address space, and Sprint (and others)
protect router memory.

The Internic hasn't made any unilateral decisions. You might want to check
RFC2050 which can be found at http://www.arin.net in the "Recommended
Reading" section.

Isn't there a way, if the InterNIC and the larger backbone operators
cooperated, that organizations having smaller armounts of address space
would not be filtered out?

If you simply want to avoid the filters, use address space in your
upstream provider's aggregate.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com