nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Backbone Index

From: "Jack Rickard" <jack.rickard () boardwatch com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 17:41:51 -0600

----------
From: Ben Black <black () zen cypher net>
To: Jack Rickard <jack.rickard () boardwatch com>
Cc: Justin W. Newton <justin () priori net>; nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Internet Backbone Index
Date: Friday, June 27, 1997 7:07 PM

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Jack Rickard wrote:

I don't think I'm missing it.  I think I'm disagreeing with it in as
nice
and nonconfrontational a way as I can given the crappy personality I
have

apparently your definition of nonconfrontational includes calling people
morons.  i think i will expand my definition of "editor" to include
clueless network engineer wannabes.

As I recall, you specifically began the name calling episode.

to work from.  Splitting hairs from here to infinity on what "network"
means and what the world wide web is departs rather widely from my
mission
here, so I'm giving it short shrift.  If you don't know how ping and
traceroute vary from data flows, I can't help much there either.

since you obviously don't know a thing about how things like peering,
NAPs, IP routing, and all the other components of network engineering
work, i this it humorous.

Actually I know quite a bit about them.  If it is obvious to you otherwise,
it becomes rather obvious that you don't.

If you want to draw a line of demarcation between a network and its
performance, and a web server and its performance, you're free to do
so.  I
just probably won't buy into it.

and we probably wouldn't either.  but since that isn't what anyone is
doing, how is this relevant?

On the actual concept that changing all the web servers will move the
numbers: It might.  It might not.  I would probably bet at this point
that
there will be a lot of that going on among the non-moron crowd.  I'm
kind
of hoping for it anyway.  And then we'll see if the numbers move.  My
sense
is that they will move some, and not as much as most seem to think.
But
it's true it could go the other way and be dramatic.  I'm open to
whatever
results derive.

so you are hoping backbone providers move their own home page web servers

in order to skew a severely limited and obviously bogus benchmark?  if it

is as easy as that to change the results, don't you think perhaps there
is something radically wrong with your methodology?  wouldn't that seem
to indicate this so-called benchmark isn't really testing what it
purports to?

I don't think it will be that easy, which if you could read you would see
in the comments you quoted.  No, I don't think there is something radically
wrong with the methodology.  I have no hopes for what providers do.  They
can do whatever they like.  We will continue to publish test results.  How
they react to them is no affair of mine.