nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI outages (summary)

From: Jeremy Porter <jerry () fc net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:42:44 -0500

From: "Jeff Young" <young () mci net>
you've been around long enough to know the drill, you call
your upstream, he calls his, etc., etc.,

Actually, the "drill" is as follows:

1) makes sure it's not a problem with my upstream, that is singly homed
   to MCI.  It wasn't.

2) since my upstream is singly homed, they have no interest in solving
   MCI routing problems, and refer all such calls to the MCI NOC.

I think the traceroute fails at this hop.  Outages work just like
routing, you pay , X pays MCI, if your not happy you call X,
X calls MCI, if X doesn't call MCI, then why would you buy service from
them?  This is the standard operator proceure, if there ever was one.
(In this case X hasa circuit id, and the problem will get through to
the correct noc people that can look up IP addresses, providing a bunch of
bozo's are calling into the MCI noc pretending to be customers, wasting
everyone's time.

3) in this case, since the other site was known to me, call them and
   see if they are experiencing a problem.  Yes, they were having some
   problems with MCI, too.  They are also singly homed.

4) traceroutes clearly showed that it was an MCI problem.

5) call MCI NOC with information.

6) get shrugged off with a recommendation that I send my problem to
   trouble () mci com.  This would be amazing if it were not so incredibly
   stupid, since it was my inability to get my email that brought the
   problem to my attention.

you expect our
front line noc to know you by name?

Goodness gracious, while that personal touch can be pleasant, it is not
required.  But, I do expect them to have an idea what the IP addresses
of their own routers are, and not have to go on hold to find out about
traceroutes....

From: Sean Donelan <SEAN () SDG DRA COM>
If you've been around long enough, you remember the days when
the MCI NOC used to flat-out refuse to do inter-provider referals.
.From first-hand experience, I know they've told their customers to
call the other provider directly, even when both networks involved
were direct MCI customers.

In my experience, most smaller NOCs refuse to do inter-provider
referrals these days.  Too many levels.

But I have accumulated a large collection of 1-800
numbers that I can use to call people I know by name :-).  I prefer
to go through channels, but when the channels don't work, I'm just
as comfortable using any means necessary.

Same here.

WSimpson () UMich edu
BSimpson () MorningStar com

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry () fc net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net