nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet outages

From: Cary Howell <chowell () comstar net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 21:34:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Joseph C. Pistritto wrote:

This really depends on how important you are to your provider as well.
We're a fairly large customer for at least one of our ISPs, so they tend to
tell us about things as they happen (we also have a "bottom line"
requirement here to be up, so we active reroute traffic from one ISP to
another as things happen).

In reality, it's T3 customers and up that get this kind of service, and
then only be special arrangement.

Horse-pucky!  Every ISP should be keeping their customers informed on
network troubles and outages.  We have an outage mailing list that any
customer; at any speed can receive network trouble reports that come
directly from our engineering staff or any of our upline providers.

If you're a business and need 'business class' service and you're not
being informed of outages -- get a new provider.

---
Cary Howell, CEO                          tel. 770-333-8779
ComStar Communications Corporation        fax. 770-333-8578