nanog mailing list archives

Re: multihoming without BGP

From: Marc Slemko <marcs () znep com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 08:09:35 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Dana Hudes wrote:

Paul A Vixie wrote:

But there's no guarantee that you need separate addresses per home
page.
If you don't count Lynx or Mosaic as part of your target audience,
then you
can depend on the "Host:" keyword sent in queries by *all* modern
browsers.

I had to jump in here with a correction and clarification. We
are using Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0. The 'software virtual
server' feature doesn't work with any version of Netscape Navigator
up to and including Communicator Preview 5. The server sees a
HTTP 1.0 not HTTP 1.1 request.  In my logs I do see some webcrawlers
sending HTTP 1.1 so it isn't completely a server issue.
Netscape Enterprise 3.0 is coming out RSN but I don't know that it will
be any better. If it is I'll speak up here.

This does not belong on nanog, but to set the facts straight: if Netscape
Enterprise 2.0 supports Host: based virtual hosts but only for hosts that
make HTTP/1.1 requests that is lame.  Versions of Navigator have sent
Host: headers for some time; so has MSIE.  Last I knew, AOL's proxies
didn't yet because they were too lazy.  The vast majority of clients do
send Host: headers even though they aren't HTTP/1.1.  HTTP/1.1 clients
_have_ to send the Host: header, but HTTP/1.0 clients may and most do.

I do not advocate using them yet for most websites, but that is another
issue.