nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSP ... New Information

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:19:50 -0400

At 09:22 AM 06/10/97 -0500, Phil Howard wrote:

Right.  But people see it as such a problem because the routing policies
are IP space derived.  When people are told they need a /19 to be routable,
then they begin to go backwards on solving the IP space problem and resume
wasting it (but hiding the waste to look like its used).

But this is somewhat of a misnomer. It is not an issue of being
'routable' v. 'non-routable', but rather, one of whether you can
be aggregated into a larger prefix. This practice encourages
aggregation -- it is commonly agreed that Aggregation is Good (tm).

The routability issue comes into play when:

 o You are specifically referring to routes being propagated by
   a service provider who uses prefix-length filters, AND

 o You cannot be aggregated into a large enough advertised CIDR
   block to conform to these types of filters.

When the need to justify space usage occurred, along with it came some ideas
on actually how to do that.  And I see that working.  We were projected to
run totally out of space by now, and since we have not, I assume it did work
pretty well.

BGP4, CIDR, or Die.

But the real problem is routing policies that are encouraging people to go
back to wasting space.  By using the network size as the criteria for doing
route filtering, the smaller guys get screwed and they see their solution
as inflating their network.  This practice needs to be stopped or a better
solution needs to come out of it.

One might suggest that some of the prefix length filter could be
replaced by more aggressive dampening policies.

- paul