nanog mailing list archives

Re: DC fiber cut: field report

From: Adrian J Bool <aid () u-net net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:51:36 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Owen DeLong wrote:

The thing that doesn't make sense to me in all of this is that SONET
is supposed to be built as RINGS.  With a Service side and a Protect side
to each switch.  BIFF should, in theory, only take out one or the other,
but not both.  WHY, with what we pay these carriers every month, do they
not divergent-path route these critical wide-area links so that this isn't
fatal?

I suppose because you account for about 0.0001% of their total revenue.
Hey, youre lucky for our accountabilty you could shove a few extra naughts
in the middle ;-(

At the end of the day, are you going to cancel all your circuits with
them?  I doubt it - I have been tempted with certian telcos but the cost
and hassle, all *after* the downtime has occured ain't always worth it.  I
bet the telcos are betting on that.

Regards & Good luck with your diveristy!

aid