nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP Filtering / CIDR Block Size / SprintLink

From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex () Relcom EU net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:43:25 +0300 (MSK)

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, James D. Butt wrote:

Who, in addition to SprintLink, is currently implementing IP
filtering based on CIDR block size (/19)?  And where can I go
to learn more about this issue?

I beleive AGIS has filters now. You can get the specifics off www.agis.net
and click on Network Engineering and read the Nanog presentation info.

The best place to go is the nanog archives...for more information about
other providers...
Hmm, there is amazing - I understood 2 cases only -
- there is FILTERING in INTERNET,
- there is NOT FILTERING in INTERNET.
It's not big difference for us if there is 1 or 10 big ISP who make
filtering.

But - all you know this filtering have 2 sides. First, it decreases
routing noice in the network. But, 2'th, it prevent address space saving.

It seems (reading your mail) /19 filtering is too raugph for the
INTERNET. It seems it's nessesary to have some filtering to prevent extra
grouth of the routing tables. Ok, why nobody discuss /20 or /21 filtering
_everywhere_?

I must repeat - it's not important for the small ISP and small
enterprises how many ISP over the world produce filtering - it's
important if the filtering exist somewhere or not.

Aleksei Roudnev,
Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)