nanog mailing list archives

Re: Unsubstantiated Rumor - this is not simply about RBOC ISP Tariff

From: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 23:53:59 -0600 (CST)

a) The "free peering" relationship is directly analogous to a "bill &
keep" interconnection relationship between traditional telephone companies.

I suspect that "directly analogous" is neither a legal nor a regulatory
term.

b) Under the Communications Act of 1934 As amended by the Telecommunications
Act of 1996 ("Act"), "telecommunications carriers" are under obligation to
interconnect "with the facilities and equipment of other telecommunications
carriers..." (Act, Sec. 251 (a) (1)

It may be worth your while to learn what a "telecommunications carrier"
is.  (I rather doubt that you are one.  I also rather doubt that the
people you want to peer with are either.)

The telecomreg mail list might be a useful place for you to explore this topic.

-tjs