nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ad Hoc, eDNS, AlterNIC and the bunch

From: Karl Denninger <karl () mcs net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:21:28 -0500

On Thu, Apr 10, 1997 at 02:55:18PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

Karl Denninger writes:
But the IANA does not own majority of those servers.

In fact NSI owns many of them,

One, operated as part of their cooperative agreement.

Really?  Then why has Paul Vixie posted publically that f.root-servers.net
was paid for in whole or part by NSI?

How many others are paid for in whole or part by NSI?

Perry, you're just dead wrong here.

and they do not appear to be consenting to this "work".

I do not believe that their consent or lack thereof is an issue. NSI
is a company doing a job under contract. I do not know if they do or
do not believe otherwise, but that is not really material.

Hehehe...

Then again, the IAHC has failed to substantiate that any of the IANA servers
will actually *implement* any of their recommendations.

I was unaware that such documentation was needed.

Perry
Speaking for myself and not in an official capacity.

Of course it is.  You can recommend anything you want, but if you have
nobody who will insert the pointers, its a worthless exercise in handwaving.

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
                             | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal