nanog mailing list archives

Re: offtopic for NANOG - do not read

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 15:41:25 -0400

Geoff White writes:
I'd like you to point out the major corporations and public
universities who will do this.  I'd also like you to immediately
return that nice root server that NSI has paid for in part or
whole, if you really believe this.

Anyone trying to take "COM" and point it somewhere else will find that they
have created a class-action lawsuit with 1,000,000 plaintiffs -- all the
people who you instantly disconnect that have COM domains.

Anyone trying to STEAL NSI's COM zone (to appropriate it as their own) will
likely find themselves on the wrong end of a monstrous lawsuit, not to
mention potential felony theft charges.

NSI does not own the root domain .com .org .net or any other TLD.
They were *hired* by the NSF to manage the registration of domain names
for these TLDs, and they have done a  deplorable job.

You are, of course, correct.

I will point out that NSI's cooperative agreement with the NSF clearly
states that at the end of the agreement, any and all databases or
software created under the agreement belong to the government, not to
NSI.

Read it for yourself if you don't believe me.

Perry
Speaking for myself, and not in an official capacity