nanog mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: SYN floods (was: does history repeat itself?)

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Justin W. Newton wrote:

We are currently blocking any outgoing packets which have a source address
which is not advertised by us.  I have also crossposted Avi's and Craig's
access filter list for Border routers to the inet-access mailing list which
has approx 2,000 subscribers, mostly small ISP's.  Maybe it'll help.  Maybe
not.

One thing that would help is for somebody to translate that filter list to
Livingston IRX format since a lot of smaller ISP's use those boxes.

Someone else made a comment that many ISP's wouldn't have a clue what a
SYN packet is. Actually, now a lot more of them do because I have
forwarded some of the discussion from here onto a few ISP mailing lists.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com