nanog mailing list archives

Re: Agenda for next NANOG

From: John Hawkinson <jhawk () bbnplanet com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 18:56:39 -0400 (EDT)

This is an interesting problem and actually close to solvable at the
IP level.  I'm sure you are familiar with PPP LQM.  Take out the PPP
part and keep the LQM packet format and local storage.  Keep one LQM
struct per ARP entry on a bcast or nbma interface (such as an ATM
NAP).  Count packets used by each ARP entry and update SNMP and the
LQM entry as you would in PPP LQM.  Occasionally (once a second is
fine) send an LQM packet summarizing what has been sent.

This is a very good idea.   You might want to hand it over
to your vendor before I hand it over to mine.  :-)

Hey, now. Curtis has been saying this for at least a few years.
Clearly people haven't been paying attention!

(but don't let that stop you from knocking any particular vendor about it).

--jhawk