nanog mailing list archives

Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

From: Jim Dixon <jdd () vbc net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 21:55:10 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

   To my way of thinking, content providers are net producers of 'benefit'
   and say dial-up users are consumers.  We adjust our prices to reflect
   this: if you buy a leased line from us to run a Web server, we charge
   you less; if you are a dial-up provider, we charge you more.

   Most end users would agree with this model.  They pay their 10 quid /
   15 bucks a month so that they can surf the Web.  They don't expect the
   Net to pay them ;-)

So basically what you're saying here is that your ISP should be paying
you to connect to your web servers, and they will pass the charges on
downstream to their customers?

That's not far off from what I am saying, except that you have the
roles confused.

I am saying that
*       we (a backbone ISP)
*       charge customer ISPs whose primary business is dialup
        *       (net consumers of benefit)
*       more than those whose business is selling Web space
        or
        who operate a Web server
        *       (net producers of benefit)

We don't do dial-up ourselves; many of our customers do.

--
Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684