nanog mailing list archives

Re: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

From: alex () relcom eu net
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 96 23:17:39 +0400

  > I think the argument is undermined by the fact that peering in Europe is
  > in a fairly dismal state.  Were there a MAE-{London, Paris, Prague} I
  > somehow think that the big five at least might throw a T3 or two over.

  "MAE London" is called the LINX and the T3s have been thrown over.

  We peer with 30 other networks at the LINX in London, including GSL
  (Sprintlink), Pipex (uu.net), and EUnet GB (AKA PSI).  If you watch the
There is interesting question - does SprintLink use this peering
for the traffic _from USA_ to _you_, or for it's UK  customers only?

We have one example - there is Relcom there, and we are presented on
our M9-IX exchange point. New provider (small-small there, XXX Global
Networks, the Russian branch) asks us to make peering with them.
We asked - if this allow us to get traffic _from_ and _to_ XXX Global
via this link - _no, this will be peering with russian branch only_ was
the answer. Guess what have we answered? /it's not important what really XXX was/

  Someone more cynical than I might even say that the US company has used
  the UK company's money to buy the UK company.

  --
  Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
  http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)