nanog mailing list archives

Re: Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

From: Che-Hoo Cheng <chcheng () cuhk edu hk>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:32:29 +0800

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

   From: Dave Curado <dcurado () neteng nis newscorp com>

   However, I had huge problems running an ISP in HK.  The telco pricing
   has always been such that it is scads less expensive to connect back
   to the US than to another country, even another country just a few
   miles away.  I keep watching the pricing and goings-on to see if/when
   there will be a reasonable pricing decrease on bandwidth to Asia, but
   haven't seen anything yet.

Oh well, mark HK off the list...

Pls don't.  :)  In fact, the situation is the same in almost all
countries within Asia/Pacific.

   For the time being, it seems that the most affordable solution would
   be for each country to build it's own exchange, and have everything
   link back via the US.  (although its silly to have traffic from HK
   to Bangkok routing via San Jose...)

Well, Hawaii is closer...  :-/

But frankly, there is no incentive to connect to Hawaii or Guam unless
an AP-CIX has really been set up there with significant number of major
participants.  A chicken & egg problem!?

Cheers,

--

Che-Hoo Cheng                       | Email: chcheng () cuhk edu hk
Data Comms and Networking Section   | URL:   http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/