nanog mailing list archives

Re: Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

From: Che-Hoo Cheng <chcheng () cuhk edu hk>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:22:21 +0800

Dave Curado wrote:
but note that HK has a reasonable sized nap already.  The HKIX.
My understanding is that they are about to upgrade the exchange
to an ATM switch. (whatever)

Just a minor note regarding HKIX:

As the person-in-charge of HKIX, I would say upgrading to ATM is not of
urgent need for the current traffic volume (5-min average up to
11Mbps).  In fact, with the expensive tariff of T3 local circuit (starts
at US$7,700/month for a full circuit) and unavailability of clearline
OC3 service, upgrading HKIX (currently a Catalyst 5000) with an ATM
switch is almost out of the question especially after the recent
roll-out of city-wide ATM service by Hongkong Telecom (starts at
US$4,200/month for two ends with OC3 physical circuits).

I'd love to see someone get an oc3/12/48 pipe from HK to the west
coast, and resell to the 60+ HK ISPs at reasonable prices.

Me too.  :)  But unfortunately, it is still not justified to set up a
OC3 pipe for Hong Kong.  But maybe a DS3 pipe is justified.  Anyone
looking at this business opportunity?  :)

For the time being, it seems that the most affordable solution would
be for each country to build it's own exchange, and have everything
link back via the US.  (although its silly to have traffic from HK
to Bangkok routing via San Jose...)

It seems that this applies more to medium-sized ISPs.  We now see large
ISPs with deep pockets setting up intra-Asia/Pacific connections or
backbones.  Examples are Global One, Asia Internet Holdings (ABONE),
UUNET, AT&T, IBM, CWIX, STIX, and mesh connections of ISPs run by
telephone companies in Asia/Pacific.  It seems that they have totally
different business models.  Fortunately (to HK), most of them have
presence in Hong Kong so they can choose to interconnect at HKIX.  :)

Cheers,

--

Che-Hoo Cheng                       | Email: chcheng () cuhk edu hk
Data Comms and Networking Section   | URL:   http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/