nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering is a lot of work.

From: doug () pbi net (Doug Sheppard)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:05:53 -0800

On Oct 29, 15:10, Justin W. Newton wrote:

One can point default at someone whether or not they are peering with the
person.  I am somewhat confused by the thought that people believe that
they need to be peering with someone to have that person point default at
them.  I could (I don't, but I could), point default at /anyone/ on the
same switch fabric as me, whether they are peering with me or not.  Why do
people continue to tie these 2 issues together?

At the PacBell Nap for instance, you *couldn't* just point default at anyone on
the same switch fabric -- because you need to set up a peering (mapping) within
the switching fabric first, before you do any route peering. Until this happens
there would be no unwanted traffic.

-d