nanog mailing list archives

Re: SONET Interconnect (was RE: MCI)

From: Dorian Kim <dorian () cic net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 20:19:45 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Per Gregers Bilse wrote:

On Mar 29,  9:20, Mike Trest <trest () atmnet net> wrote:
The discussions regarding ATM/SONET and IP over ATM are finally focused
on a fundamental issue:

The fundamental question which remains without an answer is this: In
which way do my packets benefit if transported by ATM?  Is it
cheaper?  Doesn't look like it.  Do they travel faster?  No.  Can I
send more?  No.  Is it simpler?  No, which means more failure modes
(historical evidence, if nothing else, is plentiful).  Is it more
reliable than the alternatives?  Probably not.  So what do I stand to
gain?

To put it another way:

What problem does ATM solve that it's alternative doesn't, and what
problem does ATM create that it's alternative doesn't?

You can do your own cost-benefit analysis to determine if you are
interested in ATM.

-dorian