nanog mailing list archives

RE: SONET Interconnect (was RE: MCI)

From: bajaj () bellcore com (Shikhar Bajaj)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:22:36 -0500

According to Sean Doran:
Someone suggested to me that it's because so much money has
been spent on developing the technology that it HAS to be
used in order to recover the investment.

Doesn't the fact that they recover the investment mean that enough
people wanted the product and were willing to pay for it?

Shikhar

Nah, rather that they woudln't get a choice or would not know
better.  ATM is like a pyramid craze.

In this particular case, it has been (voraciously :)) pointed out that people
have other choices so I don't think that applies.  As for "people not knowing better,"
I'm not even going to touch that one.

--vadim

PS Can you say that loss writeoff is a way to recover investment?
   I've certainly seen some clever accounting going on :)

True.  Writeoffs and depreciation are a way to recover some of your costs.  But
you still have to sell stuff to recover all of your investments.  But, I'm
not an accountant so I don't know how far these things can be stretched.

If you have any good ideas, pass them on.  April 15 is fast approaching.
Anyone got a router that I can use as a tax shelter? ;-)

Shikhar