nanog mailing list archives

Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:23:26 -0500

"Kevin Oberman" writes:
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 00:40:24 -0500
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>

I'm arguing that they haven't ever really existed, except with
government intervention to create them.

Guess this you could claim "government intervention" for most
anything, but I suggest you read up on Carnagie Steel, Standard Oil,
and a few others at the turn of the century.

I have. If you read my messages in detail, you would have seen my
comments on U.S. Steel (Carnegie Steel never controlled the bulk of
the market) and Standard Oil. I suggest that *you* read up on
them. You are probably operating on the vague comments you heard in
your high school history classes, not on real reading.

And, if you want to claim that these were local, go out and buy a
diamond. While there are a few exceptions, DuBeers controlled the
world's diamond market totally until the past decade and still could
easily destroy the worlds diamond market in a day.

How could they "destroy the market"? Is there a "diamond market" sitting
in a hallway somewhere that I can shoot or something?

Perry