nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ping flooding (fwd)

From: Todd Graham Lewis <lists () reflections mindspring com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:20:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Dick St.Peters wrote:

action      source        destination
------      ------        -----------

allow           10.1.1.64/26  *
deny        *             *

Of course, no one does this,

Er ... we do this.

I used to have such a filter in place at previous job, but was ordered by
higher-ups to remove it.  Still, such filters are, to my knowledge, fairly
uncommon.  You are correct, though, that they are a polite thing to do.

Incidentally, I did get my example backwards.  Sincerest apologies and
thanks to all who noticed; I'll try to proofread better next time.

It could be worse; I could insult the people who correct my mistakes.  8^)

Todd Graham Lewis        Core Engineering      Mindspring Enterprises
tlewis () mindspring com  (Standard Disclaimers)   (800) 719 4664, x2804