nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ping flooding (fwd)

From: Per Gregers Bilse <bilse () EU net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 18:18:28 +0200

On Jul 10, 10:44, John Hawkinson <jhawk () bbnplanet com> wrote:
Is it just me, or are the ANS commandos after me?

It's just you, really :-)

Good to hear. :-)

This is the short-term, long-term issue.

If you want to know who you exchange traffic with, who you need to
consider peering with in more places or establishing additional links
to, you need things like AS matrices. We certainly appreciate the
modicum of data we have now, and would be happier with more of it.

Knowing how hot each of your links is is nice, and may
help you see short-term spikes, but it doesn't help long-term
engineering of your network.

Yes, but 'long-term' is one of these things ...  You can't really
project with any degree of accuracy more than 6-9 months ahead, and
our experience indicates that historical data is not all that
useful.  (Ie, that is the case for us; it may be different for other
people.)  There aren't any agreed ways of measuring the capacity of
networks, but my take on our capacity is that we have 100-150 times
more capacity than three years ago.  Ie, this is what we can extract
from historical data; but there is a limit to how far into the future
one can project, using this data, and it certainly isn't three years.

As noted, busy core routers are ill suited for collecting IP
accounting. The fact that they may be border routers in BGP terms
doesn't make them any less core routers from a network perspective.
So you just have to rig things differently, then.

This is getting silly :-) It's relatively well-established that if you
want to collect data somewhere, getting it right is going to be hard.
The more you want to collect, the harder it is.

Yes, but my point is that bean-counting accuracy, "proof", hard
facts, etc isn't particularly important.  You want to look at trends
for long-term planning, and current measurements to see if you should
maybe reroute traffic over alternative connections, sort of "right
now".  Between those two extremes, a good nose and healthy gut is
likely to be more useful than even the most careful analysis of
historical data, simply because growth doesn't necessarily follow any
particular pattern.

Invariably it's useful to have stats on boxes at the borders of your
network where you peer with other folks, and it's also useful
inside your network. All of these things depend on what you're trying
to engineer for, and almost all of them are useful. Balancing usefulness
versus forwarding path performance is a tricky thing, but one should not
assume it's impossible, and considering the possibilities is far more
than a waste of time.

Sure, nobody would disagree with that.

--
------ ___                        --- Per G. Bilse, Mgr Network Operations Ctr