nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NIC-960209.1757] Routing Problem (fwd)

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:47:58 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

Wrong. It already is happening in some regions. You won't see any direct
competition in the Internet business for at least two more years unless
you see monsters under your bed and the CIA are listening in on your
brain.

The Internet market is miniscule. It is growing fast. It will continue to
grow fast. No one company can hope to grow fast enough to dominate in any
particular city. That's why you don't have to work with your local
competition, you just have to work with your other local ISP's in
building your local Internet infrastructure and growing your local
Internet market..

Yes, so why not take you address space from you upstreem provider and
yes, when you need to change it. We started with 1 /24 then, /23 then
/19, all from Sprintlink. We then added a MCI connection and the Internic
gave us a /18, then we got connected to a NAP, the NIC gave us one more
/18. Yes, we had to renumber off the /24, /23, and are still working on
the /19.

The point is that the NIC has no idea how long you will be in business,
or if you need the space at all. I am provding access to right now 10
ISP, that will be gone in a year, and have watch that many die so far.

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales () netrail net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest